Andy Griffith, RIP
Last week on Tuesday, July 3, the world mourned the loss of actor Andy Griffith. Andy was best known for his roles as Sheriff Andy Taylor in The Andy Griffith Show as well as country lawyer Ben Matlock in the legal drama Matlock.
Ron Howard (a.k.a. Opie), then child actor who co-starred with Andy on the Andy Griffith Show, tweeted out this statement after hearing about the death of his friend and mentor:
Andy Griffith His pursuit of excellence and the joy he took in creating served generations & shaped my life I’m forever grateful RIP Andy
According to Ron Howard’s tweet, it would appear that Andy Griffith was a man known for his pursuit of excellence. He worked hard at his acting career and enjoyed the journey along the way.
Pursue Excellence Like Andy
As I contemplate Andy Griffith, his career, and a pursuit of excellence, I can’t help but think of some of the unique characteristics of excellent people like Andy who:
- Work Hard. People who pursue excellence aren’t afraid of a little hard work. They’re going to do whatever it takes to get the job done with quality.
- Have fun. People who pursue excellence attempt to enjoy the ride. They live in the moment and have fun even while working hard.
- Bring people along for the ride. Excellent people aren’t afraid of surrounding themselves with other great talent. Many tend to build strong mentor relationships with those around them who are younger and less experienced. Andy seemed to excel in this area.
- Aren’t afraid to fail. Andy had a breakout role in an early film as well as two hit TV sitcoms. Did you realize, though, that he had a bunch of failed films and TV shows inter-mingled with his major successes? He kept on trying different roles until something stuck. He didn’t throw in the towel when one of his TV shows didn’t work out.
- Keep on fighting through the challenging times. Did you also know that Andy suffered leg paralysis from Guillain–Barré syndrome back in the 1980s? After an extended period of rehabilitation, though, he returned to television in the legal drama Matlock. He fought through the pain and then went on to star in another hit TV show.
Are You In The Pursuit of Excellence?
How about you? Are you in a pursuit of excellence in your life? If so, I would just encourage you to follow the example of the life of Andy Griffith – work hard, have fun, take people along for the ride, don’t be afraid to fail, and keep on fighting through difficult times.
Are there other key characteristics of people who are in the pursuit of excellence? I welcome your feedback in the comments below.