Post-Traumatic Events And Eventual Outcomes
I believe most of us are aware of the condition known as Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder or PTSD. This is the condition that many military men and women come home struggling with after being out on the battlefield. People who suffer from PTSD have gone through such difficult life events that it affects every aspect of their lives going forward. They can no longer function as well as they did before the event.
Did you also know that there is a polar opposite condition called Post-Traumatic Growth or PTG? Individuals who have experienced post-traumatic growth have not only gone through difficult circumstances, but they have seemingly come out on the other side of their trauma in better shape then they were prior to the difficulty in the first place.
People who experience PTG are more than just strong, tough, optimistic, or resilient. Post-traumatic growth goes way beyond an ability to resist and not be damaged by traumatic experiences. This type of growth moves these individuals beyond pre-trauma levels of adaptation.
Positive Characteristics Of The Growth Track
Those who have seemingly been able to bypass the psychological disorders that we often associate with trauma and move on to bigger and better things display the following characteristics [source: Wikipedia]:
- an ability to grieve and accept the trauma
- an ability to focus attention and resources on the most important matters
- an ability to disengage from uncontrollable or unsolvable problems
- a greater appreciation for life
- a changed sense of priorities
- warmer, more intimate relationships
- a greater sense of personal strength
- a recognition of new possibilities or paths for one’s life
- spiritual development
So, How Can You Enter The Growth Track?
Now, I know what you’re saying to yourself: “Larry, how is this even possible? Don’t horrible events leave us scarred for the rest of our lives?”
Yes, you might think this is the case, but it is entirely possible to walk through difficult circumstances and come out better on the other side.
As a Christian, I believe this is entirely possible through the strength and power of the Holy Spirit. Check out these verses on the subject of growth through difficulties:
- Romans 5:3-5 ” … we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.”
- James 1:2-4 “Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.”
- Philippians 4:12-13 “I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.”
- 2 Corinthians 4:16-18 “Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.”
Get My FREE eBook
I can write passionately on this topic because I have personally experienced post-traumatic growth. God has taken me to new heights of growth and opportunity through some dramatic life circumstances.
Interested in learning more about my own experience with PTG? As a result of my life challenges, I stumbled into a 5-Step Action Plan as I worked my way through my brokeness in search of healing. These five steps helped me regain my life perspective. They renewed my faith of what could be possible with God’s help and a lot of hard work.
Over the last several years, I’ve seen many people go through some major life challenges. Some are able to “walk through the fire” and not be consumed. They come out okay, probably even better on the other side.
Others, though, seem to struggle through their difficulties. They can’t get any traction in their lives. They’re treading water and seem hopelessly stuck.
The great news is that it doesn’t have to be this way.
So, how can one person emerge victorious from their problems, and another be stuck with little hope of moving forward? I believe my 5-Step Action Plan can give you the tools to move from defeat to victory.
This little e-book addresses the problems and the accompanying solutions. So, do you want to stay stuck where you are right now, or are you ready to move forward?
You can’t buy Moving From Broken To Superhuman in bookstores. In fact, you can’t buy it anywhere on the Internet. There’s only one way to get it—by subscribing to my FREE email newsletter.
All you need to do is fill in the form above or the one on the top right-side of this page. Once you do that and confirm your subscription, I will email you the download link to this amazing, FREE resource.
If you’re really struggling with major defeat in your life now, here’s an opportunity for you to learn and grow from my experience. What do you have to lose? A better question: what are you losing out on if you don’t get my FREE e-book?
Questions: Have you ever experienced post-traumatic growth in your own life? What was your experience like? To what do you attribute your growth?